re-building a downed 2008 R2 cluster node

• Hi, I have a 2 node Windows 2008, SQL 2008 R2 cluster. This is a (MS) Active Active node running SAP on 1 node and SQL on the other with fail over between the various apps.

Recently the Disk hosting the OS died on the SAP node causing everything to fail over to the SQL node (yay! system still up), but for some reason the OS was installed on a RAID 0 array so we had no fault tolerance for the OS. I have just been handed the failed server back, with a clean OS but no apps, and no clustering.

now for the questions....

I was wondering what the best course of action was to get the server back into the cluster config, before I begin the rebuilding of SQL and SAP resources. I can still see the node listed in the cluster config on the surviving node, but it shows down. Is it better to just delete that node from the config, and re-add? or shall I get the node working and the cluster will just pick it back up when it is correctly configured.

Thanks for reading.

• evict the old node from the cluster, rebuild the server with a new node name na dadd it back to the cluster then re install any apps (SQL,SAP,etc)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Thanks Perry. I think I just answered my own questions. I enabled Failover Clustering as a feature and tried to start the service and was prompted with the following error:

The Cluster service cannot be started. An attempt to read configuration data from the Windows registry failed with error '2'. Please use the Failover Cluster Management snap-in to ensure that this machine is a member of a cluster. If you intend to add this machine to an existing cluster use the Add Node Wizard. Alternatively, if this machine has been configured as a member of a cluster, it will be necessary to restore the missing configuration data that is necessary for the Cluster Service to identify that it is a member of a cluster. Perform a System State Restore of this machine in order to restore the configuration data.

No configuration backups available, so back to the beginning.

Thanks for the reply.

• evict node and clean install

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply