Re : combinations function

• OK, now I understand more or less what you need. Check David Burrows' solution, it does precisely what you described, and it is a lot simpler than your code.

• Paramind, Vladan ask me this "Clearly, we can not answer your questions, unless you are more specific about the purposes and give us some more explanations about the principles that should be used."

I was replying to it and if you read this reply he asked me was this a college project... that's what the "this" refers to.

I am not trying to be smart nor ask any of you to do the coding for me i just want to know, is what am doing "my code" correct or is there a better way of doing it, am only learning SQL and i believe that part of my learning is going to come form people like you and Vladan.

I would like to thank David Burrows also.
    Thanks for you help on this matter
  • Ok, let's fix things. May be my expectations are too high ... I'm not trying to code, but to unleash some ideas or principles behind problems when answering - where I in turn expect, that the one asking really has a look at the answer. Remember my first answer a few pages ago?

UDF's are - with exceptions - cancer for databases. Obviously a lot of people like udf's as they seem to be the awaited resort from set-based-logic into procedural programming. I wonder, what will happen with CLR-integration. Anyway - good for the hardware vendors.

Back to your specific question. You have some goal you try to achieve with that comparison/evaluation - true? Why would you - ceteris paribus - want to achieve that goal record by record instead of all at a time for the whole set?

I bet, this can be done. Teach me better

_/_/_/ paramind _/_/_/

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply