Re: SQL Server Agent Job Organization

• Is it possible to create a SQL Server Agent job subfolder? I'd like to organize/compartmentalize all the jobs that are running.

If that's not possible, is there any other way to create some "order" besides a standard naming convention?

• Can't do folders. What I do is name them based on what database or server-wide task they are mainly working on.

For example, if I have a Sales database, and there's a job to build a daily summary report, I would name that job something like "Sales: Daily Summary". If there's a job on that same server that backs up all user databases, "Maintenance: Backups: All User DBs Full". And so on. Makes it pretty easy to tell what I'm looking at and to find things.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• That sounds good to me. A folder structure interested me because I was hoping to somehow "hide" jobs from other users.

For example, developer group A only cares about job A, and developer group B only cares about job B. I'd like developer group A to only see job A, developer group B to only see job B, and myself (DBA) to see all possible jobs.

• I'd go with GSquared's advice. Use a good naming convention to order things together.

There's no good way to "hide" jobs from users.

• I don't know of a way to hide them. Unless it's for security reasons, organizing them adequately should make that unnecessary anyway.

Perhaps you should start the naming convention with the team, instead of the database or general category. That would sort them into "A: Job1", "A: Job2", "B: Job1", and so on. That might do what you need quite nicely.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thanks everyone for your input.

Being able to hide jobs is not necessarily for a security reason per se. In our development environment, developers can set up their own jobs. However, I'd prefer that a developer doesn't accidently mess up someone else's job. If a developer isn't able to see the job, then that eliminates the possibility of them messing it up accidently.

• Unless developers are members of sysadmin, they wouldn't be able to modify or delete jobs owned by other logins.

Greg

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply