Read NT logs from SQL Server

• Does anyone know of a way to read the NT Event logs using SQL Server (like in Query Analyzer)?  We have a database server in another domain that I cannot access easily.  I VPN to the domain and can connect to the database fine, but when I try to open the Event logs locally I have enough time to get a snack and take a nap 🙂  If I could read the logs through SQL Server it certainly would make life easier.  Has anyone found a way to do this?

• Check out this script: http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/viewscript.asp?scriptid=1350

I found it while researching a way to import Windows log info to a central computer for a daily health check.  I have tested it but haven't put it into full use yet. 

Greg

Greg

• Wow.  That looks interesting and may do the trick, but I may have to jump through a few hoops to get the LogParser installed on both nodes of the cluster (security thing, you know).  I think I'll set up a test and if it's what I need then all I have to do is "sell" the idea.  Thank you so much for the info.

• I tested the procedure using LogParser and it's exactly what I need.  Thanks again!

• Glad to help.  There are some really cool tools posted here if you search for the right terms. 

Greg

Greg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply