Read-only access to all domain users

• Hi there

How to give read-only access to "all database" or "specific database" for the domain users e.g.

from the active directory list all people should be able to access the database (1 or more) all withing same network

it is in SQL-2005 but the thing is it should be on server level eg

server = SQLDEV (it has lots of DBs)

so a particular group in active directory should have read-only access to the entire SQLDEV (all DBs)

hope u can understand what i need. If not i will explain more

Cheers

GB

• Assign the group to db_datareader fixed database role. Members of this role can read only data from all the user tables.

• the problem is, some domain users may come in with more rights than you want to give them....a domain user might also be a domain admin, so giving a group rights won't prevent them from updating...

I think you need to use db_denydatawriter instead. the most restrictive rights always wins, so by using that role, you leave db_datareader in place.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply