Reading AS/400 Packed Data Type

• I have received some data via FTP from an AS/400. I can read the fields that are in CHAR format, but cannot read the values in PACK format. It appears that each 2 characters in the numeric format are somehow packed into 1 byte. Anyone know how to read this format?

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• I looked at this and find no details on a method that can be readily incorporated. However, I did see on the IBM site a C header whre you can program an unpack utility. Haven't looked much at it since I don't have an example. Let me know and I can send you the link if you want to give it a whirl.

• What your dealing with is a standard EBCDIC to ASCII translation. There are many different flavors of this, but do a search for "EBCDIC to ASCII" and you'll get tons of info.

If your just dealing with packed signed decimals, I have scripts I'll post for you. If your dealing with more than that, good luck, you'll need it. Even the translation programs I've dealt with only hit around 97% accurate in converting the data I had. Best scenario is to get them to un-pack it on the AS/400 side.

• IBM Packed data stores numeric data by setting each 4-bytes to a number from 0-9. You get an exact number this way, no estimates, no abouts and it takes 50% of the space of storing the data in character format. The rightmost half-byte stores the sign of the number. I forget exactly all the possible values but I know 0x0F as the sign is POSITIVE. I think 0x0C is NEGATIVE but don't hold me to it.

In storage 123456 packed would appear as 0x0123456F. using the bitwise AND operator (&) you can construct a routine (i suggest a user defined function) that loops through each byte, processes each nibble (half byte) and sums the result.

It would be some good code to post.

• quote:

Anyone know how to read this format?

I just posted Pack() and Unpack() user-defined functions. As soon as the admin approves them, you can download them and go to town (don't forget to vote!)

Edited by - don1941 on 12/05/2002 07:17:29 AM

• If they work as you say, you'll make me a VERY happy person as well. What I have to use is pretty ugly. A function makes it even better. I'll be a fan for life (or at least until my next contract.....)

• Ok, maybe I'm braindead, but how do I find these UDF's on this site? Did the Admins approve them? I'm in dire need of this functionality.

Thanks,

Michelle

Michelle

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply