Reading from XML with a SQL variable

• Hi all,

Firstly merry Christmas to all.

I've got a problem, where I am trying to read from XML, I'm running the code below and it all works fine.

FROM @XMLInput.nodes('/data/struct/var[@name="Tier1"]/struct/var[@name="Tier2"]/struct/var') AS i(item)

However, the node Tier2 can be different, so I need to substitute it with a variable, but I cant seem to figure out how I can acheive this.

So I want it to look something like;

FROM @XMLInput.nodes('/data/struct/var[@name="Tier1"]/struct/var[@name="@VariableA"]/struct/var') AS i(item)

I've done some reading up on 'sql:variable' but I cant seem to get the syntax right, any one any idea's on how I can do this?

Thanks,

Nic

• Hi all,

Managed to figure it out, I basically did the following;

@XMLInput.nodes('/data/struct/var[@name="Tier1"]/struct/var[@name=sql:variable("@VariableA")]/struct/var')

Just thought I would share the knowledge incase anyone else has a similar issue.

Thanks,

Nic

• Nic,

Very interesting. Thanks for posting your solution - I've learned something out of this!

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply