Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Ready Made Code Snippet Tool Box Courtesy of SCOM

• First of all thank the author for the information sharing. This cannot be an article. This comes under knowledge/information sharing. I would request Steve to open a new category called 'Information Sharing', where we can share our tips, new tools available.

I also want comment on this from my forum partner.

🙂

• Nice job Scott. I'm looking forward to seeing the code coming out of this effort.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Nice work! do you have a link to download the toolbox?

• Nice short to-the-point article on some very useful information... thanks!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• That's a good idea, and one I had not thought about previously except when I needed to dive into my own custom management pack. I'm not sure what you have to gain by stripping something out of a default SCOM management pack, unless your company was not using SCOM.

I am always trying to put extra code on top of the defaults, so now I will remember to look inside some of the default packs to see how they are getting the job done. One thing I have been struggling with recently is setting up a way to customize the discovery of a service (i.e. Sybase) in a similar fashion to how MSSQL is discovered. This would make the custom groups and rules I create much easier to administer.

Anyway, thanks for the tip, and I look forward to reading more.

----------------------
    https://thomaslarock.com

• Little actual content in this article. How about some links? Or some examples of the code you've customised, in VB.net or C#?

It does sound interesting, but why exactly do you recommend a virtual server? Have you had some problems, or is this just a safety precaution? Obviously people don't deply trial software to their 10TB production estates.

• Although it's early (just saw the article earlier this morning), it's already yielding results, because -- while I "speak VB", we exclusively use C#. And as I am researching, I'm seeing some great candidates for conversion that can then be incorporated into all sorts of useful things like CLR packages, ReportingServices reports, etc.

Thanks for the heads up!!

• Mark Horninger (3/24/2008)

Nice work! do you have a link to download the toolbox?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb738014.aspx

It will ask you to register with microsoft. Its a huge file of 280 MB. I will download it from home.

SQL DBA.

• I love having new tools to help me and my clients do our jobs more efficiently, but unfortunately I don't have time to install a big software package and play around with extracting/converting code. If anyone does take the time to do this I would very much appreciate a public dissemination of the efforts!!

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

• Thank you for your comments...

Now as I stated in the article I will be writing a follow-up to this one in the very near future showing one or two of the snippets, written in Vb.Net, getting put to some interesting use for a custom app.

Also as far as the comment about why I suggested a virtual server for the initial install my reasoning is this. Have you downloaded the 2008 SQL Server CTP to your work or personal machine - not a server of course - only to find that when it comes time to remove the trial or CTP software your needed installs (SQL Server 2005) fails to work? I simply use Microsoft’s virtual client and create a virtual space for tools like SCOM, CTP versions of software and the like then I never have to worry about uninstalling them or worse yet the annoying messages when the trial version is about to run out. And everything is contained in isolation without worry.

• Thanks for the expansion. I myself have a zipped up Virtual PC with Windows 2003 / SQL Server 2005 base build which I generally unzip fresh and use for this sort of thing. I queried it as I was wondering if there was a specific problem you had encountered, or a bug.

Look forward to the follow-up articles! If I manage to recode anything I'll post back 😉

• Great link.

I would have preferred more info in it as well, but, all in all, I'm glad I got notified on it.

One question: where can I find the discovery.xml files mentioned? I'm looking in the

System Center Management Packs folder. Is that the location?

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• I have search my whole server for the xml files and can not find them. After downloading the management packs I have several .mp files but no xml files. A little more info on where the xml files are located would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• I have the exact same issue - some more info on the file location would be appreciated

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply