Rebooting My Servers

• I have work in an environment where certain operations people have the rights to reboot my sql servers and are doing this simply by shutting down the server and restarting it.  I am runnning on Windows 2000 with SQL server 2000 sp3.  I am wondering if I should be telling them to manually stop the services prior to rebooting so that SQL stops "gracefully".  Would this be a good idea?

Thanks

• That is a good idea.  However, WHY are they rebooting your servers to begin with?  IF these are "yours" I would think that you should be involved anytime they need rebooting.....

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I agree with you 100%.  I have just started here and am still working out some admin things.  Thanks for your confirmation.  At my last position we were involved in all reboots and did manually stop the services.  I just wanted to confirm some others thoughts before moving forward with it.

• SQL Server service should be shutting itself down gracefully in any case.

The service will recieve a message from the OS to stop, just the same as if you were to mannually stop the service. SQL Server would then follow its normal shutdown procedure, closing connections, committing/rolling back transactions.

The execption to that would be if people are killing / end tasking the sqlserver.exe process, in which case you can expect some lovely dataloss.

Julian Kuiters
    juliankuiters.id.au

• When I first became the DBA for our SQL system, our techs were in the habit, from experience with NT and a different database system, of rebooting the server as the first troubleshooting step.  I put a stop to that immediately.  Our Win 2K3 server and SQL 2KSP3 can run for weeks without a reboot, and even then, we usually reboot it because of a patch.

So long, and thanks for all the fish,

Russell Shilling, MCDBA, MCSA 2K3, MCSE 2K3

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply