REBUILD 1625 indexes weekly !!??

• I just joined this company

and look at some SQL jobs they run on production server.

One of them looks really odd.

It's a weekly job that rebuilds 1625 indexes.

There are about 920 tables so it looks like they rebuild a lot of their indexes.

I am just curious if it slows the performance on the server

and why why would they do it so frequently.

It's a SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 databse behind online Financial Application (BST Enterprise).

• Somebody read on the internet that it's good to rebuild indexes, so they created a job to do it ...

It could easily be negatively impacting other processes.

• Or, if it's not causing any problems, don't fix it. I wouldn't recommend someone to automatically rebuild 1000+ indexes every week. Instead, I'd probably have a script that only rebuilds those indexes that truly need it as determined by the size of the index and the amount of fragmentation. But, if someone puts that in place and you're not seeing negative impacts... spend time where you do have problems. Rebuilding the index also results in updated statistics with a full scan as well as defragmentation of the index, so it's a "good thing."

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I agree with Grant. We rebuild all of our indexes once a month, we have problems with stats skew due to parent child relationships in many tables.

As Grant said if it isn't causing any problems leave it. Concentrate on other areas.

Thanks,

Simon

MCSE: Data Platform
    MCSE: Business Intelligence
    Follow me on Twitter: @WazzTheBadger
    LinkedIn Profile: Simon Osborne

• Thank you all.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply