Recognizing Talent

• Interesting items from Chris and it probably is worth another editorial (or maybe Chris wants to write one) about it. I'd say that being early hasn't mattered to me, but I've also let my boss know that I'm not an early bird in the interview and set expectations accordingly.

I agree that the relationships, especially getting friendly with the boss, is important. The other thing that is really important is not having complaints to the boss from others or him getting blindsided from something. As hard as it can be, giving him bad news is better than someone else calling him to ask about it.

I'm always amazed at how much a t-shirt means to geeks in the US!

• Sorry Steve...I know it was a bit off the subject. Feel free to run with it in a separate editorial if you get inspired.

I know my experiences are anecdotal, but I strongly suspect that these unfortunate rules (maybe "guidelines" is a better word) are valid with many, if not most, employers.

• jack (5/7/2008)

I totally agree with Chris!

Recently had a review and after ~1hr of kudos we came to the dreaded areas for improvement section...

The negative was that I wasn't 5 minutes early every day.

I thought getting a degree and having a professional career and doing quality work meant I would be able to do the job instead of doing the time.

Sometimes there is a requirement, written or unwritten, that something negative must be put on the review. That may have been all they could come up with.

Perhaps I'm getting increasingly cynical, but I think everywhere is now doing the job, not the time. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it ain't gonna happen where I am now.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• I agree with Chris too though I have worked for a company where you were expected to be early and work later than the boss. At this same company they tried to argue that I shouldn't get a raise because I had taken 3 more sick days than I was allowed. My argument was I was sick and couldn't help that, and I had the annual leave to cover the extra 3 days. They caved and gave me the raise but it was so silly as the previous years I had taken less than my allowed sick days (can't accrue sick leave).

Those guidelines help give you an edge!

Cheers,

Nicole

Nicole Bowman

Nothing is forever.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply