Recommended SQL Backup Software?

• Our organization is currently looking at a more robust SQL backup software than what we are currently using and was wondering what other organizations would recommend. I have heard to avoid DPM like the plague.

One thing I would like to be able to do with the backup software is to select specific databases to do more frequent transaction backups of. So those databases that are changed often are getting backed up more frequently.

Any suggestions anyone has would be welcomed.

• Looks like someone else asked similar question here

• bsmith 63193 (1/19/2016)

Our organization is currently looking at a more robust SQL backup software than what we are currently using and was wondering what other organizations would recommend. I have heard to avoid DPM like the plague.

One thing I would like to be able to do with the backup software is to select specific databases to do more frequent transaction backups of. So those databases that are changed often are getting backed up more frequently.

Any suggestions anyone has would be welcomed.

I've used DPM in the past and not a fan of it.

Either Redgate SQLBackup or Dell Litespeed are both great products

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• I am prejudiced, but Redgate SQL Backup is a great piece of software (I work for them).

You might also want to look at Minion Backup.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Has anyone used Veeam Backup for SQL?

• bsmith 63193 (1/20/2016)

Has anyone used Veeam Backup for SQL?

I've played a bit with it. If your SQL boxes are virtual and you have the budget, I would strongly consider it. It is very efficient with large databases.

I have redGate backup Pro at work (I do not work for RedGate by the way) and I am really pleased with it. I use it in conjunction with Ola's Maintenance Solution and is fantastic. It achieves up to 80% compression! Pretty impressive to me. I have several big databases, one that is almost 2TB and it backups it up really fast. Of course, backup speed varies across places, depends of lot of factors, including your disk's layout and network speed.

• Grant Fritchey (1/20/2016)

I am prejudiced, but Redgate SQL Backup is a great piece of software (I work for them).

You might also want to look at Minion Backup.

I agree. These would be my recommendations as well.

I will also toss in there that RedGate SQL Backup is the only third party backup tool (read that as non-native because Minion uses native backup) that has not caused complications with database recovery in some way. Short list of problems I have seen:

1. One tool could not restore any databases whatsoever after an agent at the data center dropped the LUN with the system databases.

2. One tool consistently corrupts a database file (sometimes log sometimes data)

3. Another tool consistently corrupted the VM snapshots that it created (subsequently impacting the entire VM).

4. Another tool took 22hrs to restore a database (from same file locations) while native backup was able to restore in under 4. Both used the same settings.

5. Another that touts awesome compression consumes up to 3x the space for a single backup as the native version of the same backup.

These are pretty egregious problems for which I have had clients request my services to resolve. Item #1, the data-center fumbled pretty badly there. To make it worse, the data center just stared at the fumble for almost 6hrs while the client lost ~ $1million/hr in lost sales. They survived for not even eight more months after that. Using native backup, I was able to get them back in business in under 30 minutes. They never recovered from that datacenter gaff. The software in that case was CommVault.

I have had bad experiences with Networker, Tivoli, and Litespeed as well. These three though are not contributors to the five listed examples. They have their own unique quirks and problems.

Now also consider any tool that implements backups via Snapshot of the server (vm or other). Is that solution quiescing the database? Many of them do. Do you want the database to be quiesced during production hours? I have a client using a tool similar to that (because the data center mandates it) and the top of every hour the applications die because the database is quiesced in order for a snapshot to be performed. I can't recommend any solution that does that - not in good conscience.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I am also a fan of Redgate, never had any problems with it (I also don't work for Redgate). It's been awhile since I last used it but ApexSQL Backup is pretty good.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply