Records not updating/deleting

• I have two rows I'm trying to update directly in SQL Server 2005 Express, but it keeps giving me the following error:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

No row was updated.

The data in row 236 was not committed.

Error Source: .Net SqlClient Data Provider.

Error Message: String or binary data would be truncated.

The statement has been terminated.

Correct the errors and retry or press ESC to cancel the change(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

All the other rows in my table works fine in terms of doing direct updates/deletes.

What might be causing this?

• The reason is that the data you're trying to put into one of the fields is longer than the definition for that field.

For example, say you have a table with a field "firstName" and it's defined to be varchar(10).  Inserting 'John', 'Maryann' and 'Dexter' will work fine.  However, an attempt to insert 'Saramandeser' would result in a "String or binary data would be truncated" error since 'Saramandeser' has twelve characters.

SQL Server will not make the assumption that you wish to only store the first n or last n characters, but will present you with this error.  There are (at least) two solutions:

1 - Alter the column(s) which are too small to widen them.  For the example above, this would accomplish the task:

ALTER TABLE employees ALTER COLUMN firstName varchar(25)

2 - Change the source of your insert or update to only use the necessary 10 characters:

INSERT INTO employees (firstName) SELECT LEFT(fName, 10) FROM hr_employees

Of course, if you're inserting or updating from a front-end, say ASP.NET web-page or VB.NET Windows Forms application, you'd have to take the appropriate steps in the application.

I'd recommend #1 since it is easier to maintain over time.  If you implement #2, then in six months you or someone else implements #1, you'll have room for 'Saramandeser' but still only store 'Saramandes'

Hope this helps!

But boss, why must the urgent always take precedence over the important?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply