Recovery Mode & Log Shipping Poll

• I am wondering what recovery model DBAs use when implementing Log Shipping.

It would seem to me that Bulk Logged would suffice and I really can't find strong arguments one way or another except for the generic "Microsoft recommends..."

Thanks;

Greg

• I've used full, but that's worked well for me. I typically haven't had bulk loading occurring, so there's no savings.

with mirroring, I'm not sure you save anything. The same data needs to go across the wire.

• No silver bullet.

It all depends of business requirements and SLA agreement.

Cheers!

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • I'd prefer Full as it would allow me to recover primary database to point in time(1) and any which ways log backups in bulk-logged recovery mode are (perhaps) larger than in full recovery mode if you've done some bulk operation(2).

Pradeep Singh

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply