Recovery Model=Simple, Transaction Log backup?

• I just moved into a new job with my company and I have a question.

A person created a new database with a recovery model of simple. They also create a DB Maintenance Plan and chose the option to 'Back up the transaction log as part of the maintenance plan'. Since that db was created, the transaction log has never been backed up. When you look at the Event Viewer, you can see that the status is failed.

Is the transaction log backup failing because the recovery model is simple? Does this mean that you don't need to back up the transaction log with a simple recovery model?

Thanks,

Matt

From the Event Viewer:

SQL Server Scheduled Job 'Transaction Log Backup Job for DB Maintenance Plan 'DB Maintenance Plan1'' (0x2F62B2DDF5E5B94AA291AA489504796C) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2005-11-29 15:50:00 - Message: The job failed. The Job was invoked by Schedule 2 (Schedule 1). The last step to run was step 1 (Step 1).

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

• Is the transaction log backup failing because the recovery model is simple? Does this mean that you don't need to back up the transaction log with a simple recovery model?

Yes your right, if you want to backup your transaction log file, change database recovery option into FULL, 'cause SQL will keep that log until you do the backup transaction log file. If you don't want to keep it, change the database recovery option to simple, if you want to backup data, you just do the backup full database.

• Restoring based on Recovery Mode

Simple - Restore to your last full backup

Bulk Logged - Restore to your last Transaction Log

Full - Restore to a point in time

• Thanks guys! 

That is what I thought, but I wanted to run it by someone else as well. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply