Red Zig Zag line against server

• Not sure where to post this.

Please can anyone tell me what it means when you see a red zig zag line next to the server registration in Enterprise Manager.  Does it have anything to do with users connected to the server?  Or is it something more sinister?

Thanks,

Paula.

• It means EM failed to connect to that server instance. Either the server has been stopped or the login parameters for the EM registration entry are no longer valid.

• I think it means paused.

Right click on the server, and click 'start' to see if it goes away.

• Yep, you're correct, it's paused.

I tried pausing, and the icon changed to a red square in a white circle. But after a few seconds EM updates it to a vertical red zig-zag.

• I don't have the option to start it though.  I have the options to stop or disconnect.  ??

• use start/continue from sql server service manager

* Noel

• Are you using SQL Server version 7.0 utilities?  In this version, the red line over the green arrow simply indicated that you have a valid connection to the server.  If the Stop option is greyed out, then that's an indication that the server is already running.  Hope this helps. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

• Yes, it is SQL Server 7.  Thanks for that, it was fine all along.  I should have mentioned that at the start.

• Glad that helped.  And I'm glad that Microsoft finally did away with this in SQL 2000.  I've seen more than a few people who got concerned when they saw the red line thinking something was wrong. 

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply