Reduce Code Duplication in Stored Procedure?

• Is there a way I can reduce the duplication in this stored procedure? In each if statement, I have practically identical code except for one line in the lower statement. What I'm trying to do is return all the records if the user selects the "Default" report and a subset if the user selects a "Marketing" report. If the query where actually this small, it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is only an example. The real queries that will be in the if statements are large. I don't want to have to make changes to each block of code if I don't have to. Is there a way to reduce the code in here, or am I stuck having to do it this way?

Thanks,

Chuck

ALTER PROCEDURE [dbo].[spTEST]

(

@LineNum VARCHAR(10) = NULL,

@ReportType VARCHAR(20) = NULL

)

AS

IF @ReportType = 'Default'

BEGIN

SELECT ProdDesc, Size, UPC,

FROM Catalog

WHERE LineNumber = @LineNum

END

IF @ReportType = 'Marketing'

BEGIN

FROM Catalog

-- This is the extra condition

AND Status <> 'DISCONTINUED'

END

• there isn't really a good way to do this. You could move to dynamic SQL, but that's not really recommended. You could cause yourself other issues.

I can understand that you might not want to make 5 changes, but if they're all the same changes, then there are search and replace tools to make this work better and it can be cleaner. The other thing is to make separate stored procedures so you get nice clean execution plans, and call the various stored procedures from this one.

• Thanks for the advice. I've had the mindset of doing as much as I can in one stored procedure, but maybe in this case I should divide it.

Thanks

• charles.frank (7/11/2008)

Is there a way I can reduce the duplication in this stored procedure? In each if statement, I have practically identical code except for one line in the lower statement. What I'm trying to do is return all the records if the user selects the "Default" report and a subset if the user selects a "Marketing" report. If the query where actually this small, it wouldn't be a big deal, but this is only an example. The real queries that will be in the if statements are large. I don't want to have to make changes to each block of code if I don't have to. Is there a way to reduce the code in here, or am I stuck having to do it this way?

Thanks,

Chuck

(

)

AS

IF @ReportType = 'Default'

BEGIN

FROM Catalog

END

IF @ReportType = 'Marketing'

BEGIN

FROM Catalog

-- This is the extra condition

AND Status <> 'DISCONTINUED'

END

Test out this query and see if it does what you are looking for:

SELECT

ProdDesc,

Size,

UPC

FROM

Catalog

WHERE

LineNumber = @LineNum

AND ((@ReportType = 'Default')

OR (@ReportType = 'Marketing' and Status <> 'DISCONINUED'))

😎

• Thanks, but @ReportType is a value being passed in from the user. It's not a field in the Catalog table. Each type of report queryies the same table, but the data returned is filtered by the Marketing report.

• I only gave you the query, you'll need to put it into your proc.

(

)

AS

BEGIN

SELECT

ProdDesc,

Size,

UPC

FROM

Catalog

WHERE

LineNumber = @LineNum

AND ((@ReportType = 'Default')

OR (@ReportType = 'Marketing' and Status <> 'DISCONTINUED'))

END

😎

• Works! I didn't know how to get the parameters to work in the "where" if they weren't fields. Thanks.

🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply