Refresh All views in Database including all SchemasViews

• Hi,

I have found few refreshall Store procedures,but sp only refreshing dbo owned schemas, but my requirement is refresh all views irrespective of what schemas they are in DB. I have full access to DB. Could you tell me where I am missing.

Many Thanks

Eg Script:

CREATE PROCEDURE dbo.RefreshAllViews AS

-- This sp will refresh all views in the catalog.

-- It enumerates all views, and runs sp_refreshview for each of them

DECLARE abc CURSOR FOR

SELECT TABLE_NAME AS ViewName

FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.VIEWS

OPEN abc

DECLARE @ViewName varchar(128)

-- Build select string

DECLARE @SQLString nvarchar(2048)

FETCH NEXT FROM abc

INTO @ViewName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @SQLString = 'EXECUTE sp_RefreshView '+@ViewName

PRINT @SQLString

EXECUTE sp_ExecuteSQL @SQLString

FETCH NEXT FROM abc

INTO @ViewName

END

CLOSE abc

DEALLOCATE abc

• i've done something similar.

i use sys.views and not information schemas; there's a LOT of information missing in those compatiblity views, so i avoid them like the plague.

select

'exec sp_refreshview '

+ quotename(schema_name(schema_id))

+ '.'

+ quotename(name) + ';'

from sys.views

the other thing to consider is invalid views....if base tables go missing(renamed / dropped) , or the columns in them change name/dropped, potentially a command int he cursor could fail;

I have added a try...catch block to log the failed refreshes.

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Hi Lowell,

Could you share your script.

Thank you

Raj

• Sure, its part of a scripti share here that checks for all invalid objects. It triesto recompile procs, functions and views.

sp_InvalidObects.txt

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply