Regex pattern is throwing error when i'm using it in where Clause

• Hi All,

I wanted to use Regex Pattern in my where clause to narrow down the records , but the query is throwing error when running.

I have a table named Detail

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[Audit](

[AuditId] [numeric](18, 0) IDENTITY(1,1) NOT NULL,

[SystemId] [int] NULL,

[Module] [varchar](255) NULL,

[LoginId] [varchar](20) NOT NULL,

[AccountNumber] [char](10) NULL,

[Detail] [text] NULL,

[ActionDate] [datetime2](3) NOT NULL

) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

GO

SET ANSI_PADDING OFF

GO

ALTER TABLE [dbo].[Audit] ADD CONSTRAINT [DF_Audit_ActionDate] DEFAULT (getdate()) FOR [ActionDate]

GO

when i try to run the below query

SELECT * FROM Audit WHERE Detail REGEXP '^b';

Im getting below error :

An expression of non-boolean type specified in a context where a condition is expected, near 'REGEXP'.

Please throw some light on it.

• you posted in SQL2008 forum, so my questions are for that platform. i think you might be posting a MySQL question in a SQL Server centric forum though.

Since SQL Server does not have built in Regular Expressions, did you install a CLR (Common Language Runtime) to install some CLR Reg ex tools?

or are you assuming that SQL2008 has it built in?

a WHERE statement MUST have an equals sign to be evaluated.

assuming you had a scalar function named REGEXP, i'd expect ti to maybe look something like this:

SELECT * FROM Audit WHERE dbo.REGEXP(Detail,'^b') = 1;

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply