Reindex minimally logged - Does not work

• pshaship (4/22/2010)

I

see that you are rebuilding when > 30% fragmented and reorganizing < 30% - but are you limiting that to only tables with more than 1000 pages?

why only tables with more than 1000 pages?

Is index having more then 1000 pages? or tables having more than 1000 pages?

Thanks

I wrote my own Logshipping Jobs that zips the log file and then transfer it. That is how I over come my link limitations.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Do not reinvent the wheel.

• Sorry - meant indexes with more than 1000 pages. Because, reindexing indexes with less than that is practically useless. It can be argued the reindexing anything less than 10000 pages doesn't provide much benefit either - but I think it is a workable value.

You should test on your system to see what benefits rebuilding gets you - and decide the right limits for your system.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Carl Federl (4/22/2010)

The log files growth is the same as when it is in full mode

Do you mean the size of the database log file ( ldf extention) or the size of the transaction log backup files ?

Under bulk logged recovery mode, the database log file will use less disk space but the transaction log backup files will be at least the same size as compared to full recovery mode and are often larger.

Hi

If the LDF file fills up the backup log is bigger the next run.

My problem is that the bulk logged mode do not give me what I want. I tested bulk log on rebuild index and a 80MB index wil be rebuilt with +- 1MB off growth in the LDF. In full mode it grows 80MB. This is not achived when I do it on my production server and I need to know what I must look out for.

• Hi

Anybody have an answer for me.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply