reindexing problem SQL2K - General network error

• When I reindex all tables in a database(30GB) in SQL2k , some of the tables get reindexed successfully and in between the error below comes:

ConnectionRead (recv()). [SQLSTATE 01000]

Msg 11, Sev 16: General network error. Check your network documentation. [SQLSTATE 08S01

Any clues??

Anurag

• H!!,

even my our junior DBA had similar type  of error ..I had asked him to temoprarly Increased RAM and using sp_configure adjust memory used by SQL server  considering the total RAM and virtual memory .Finall reindexing wa done for each and every index.

regards,

Vinod (DBA)

HTC GLOBAL SERVICES

ph  09840856202

• I have 8GB RAm on amy server and I think should be enough. Although after researching I have got below possible reasons for this:

1) There is some update,select,insert activity happenning in the tables which are being reindexed

2) When SQL tries to correct indexes and someone is still logged in or they a login has stayed active to the database

3) There is very high load on the server and SQL is unable to maintain connection to data files on hard disk.

Anurag

• H!! Anurag,

If you want to get the total advantage of reindexing then you have to opt for offline reindexing.Usally downtime'll be taken for reindexing process

regards,

vinod

• Thanks for your help..

• Thanks for your help..

• Has anybody had this same error while doing full backup from a schedule task?

This is my first time seeing this error.

mom

• Yes I got the same error while taking full backup through scheduled job. After researching I found same reasons for failure as in case of reindexing.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply