ReIndexing without Log File Growth

• Is there a way to rebuild indexes on a table without the log file growing too big. There is only one drive with 40GB space left, and the log file exists on a drive with 8 Gb free space and when I rebuild indexes with DBCC Rebuild on this table on the test server, the log file is getting full and the statement is being terminated.

Do I need to create an additional log file on the 40GB drive, if so can I reclaim the space back??

Thanks in Advance!!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• Change the recovery model to BULK_LOGGED just before reindexing.

After reindexing, revert to FULL.

• I hope this does not break the log chain.This needs to be done on Prod Db, that's the reason I am leery about this. In case I switch the recovery models do I need to take a full backup on I am back to FULL Recovery model from Bulk-Logged??

Thanks Again!!!

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives."

• Not exactly - It doesn't break the chain, but point-in-time restores are not available while in bullk-logged mode.

This is a decent summary of the differences:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275.aspx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Well I wouldn't need to do point in time restore as I am reIndexing while in the maitenance window.Also it would be started after the full backup is taken.Does this Bulk Logged model require me to take T-Log backups ( my usual practice is hourly log backups) while reIndexing??

Thanks

The_SQL_DBA
    MCTS

• Require? No, but you can certainly stay on the same schedule.

If you mean do I need to back up the log files to free up the space inside of the t-logs, then yes - during bulk-logged as during Full recovery, transactions are retained in the log until backed up (and replicated if that is set up).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Do take a database backup of after changing the recovery model

• Yeah, for some bigger indexes I have got into the routine of setting the DB to simple recovery model, running the reindex, and then reverting to full recovery prior to the daily full backup.

I would assume you have to do this out of normal hours or during scheduled downtime to prevent the tables locking up anyway, so just take a log backup before you change the recovery model and you'll be covered.

• Matt Miller (#4) (10/16/2008)

Not exactly - It doesn't break the chain, but point-in-time restores are not available while in bullk-logged mode.

This is a decent summary of the differences:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189275.aspx

I was thinking about doing this but our production data is being replicated. Do you see any issues?

• No issues.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I've added this to our defrag process last night and the log file didn't grow much at all.

Thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply