Relevance of Repository Database

• Hi Experts!!

What is the significance of Repository Database in Analysis Server and why do we need to have a repository Database for storing OLAP?

Can we operate without it?

What if someone deletes those tables from repository database?

Any solution to the following error?

"Unexpected error encountered while updating repository Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal.

Restoration canceled.

DSO function failed."

Please e-mail replies to hjjassal@yahoo.com

Regards,

Harry

• Harry, are you asking leading questions?

The repository is where the meta-data about your AS objects resides, so yeah, it's somewhat important if you want this thing to be able to run. (Interesting note on this is that Dave Wickert [=guy who knows heaps about AS] mentions in the Ops guide that you can run an AS server *without* the Repos but *only* if you're not going to connect to it via Analysis Manager [or I'd guess anything else that wants to use DSO]).

If you've deleted tables or data from within the tables, you will obviously restore from the backup you took prior to deleting stuff?  If you've not got a back up, I would be thinking it's going to take rebuilding of the catalogs manually to get you back to where you were.  Additionally, if you actually deleted tables (!?!?) then I'd be assuming you may need to re-install to get yourself a repository back.  Common practice is to migrate the repository to MSSQL (NB preferably create a new DB for this and then choose this DB when using the migrtion utility rather than using MSDB [default]).

Lastly, based on your error, and assuming you've only deleted data not tables, you *could* try doing a hack within the repos to delete all objects related to the catalog/cube you'r trying to restore, *but* I personally wouldn't even think of doing this (last time i tried it i re-installed )

Good luck!

Steve.

• Whew!!!!!!!

Thanks steve for the info...With God's grace I cd still get a backup from a test server and able to get all my OLAP back up running...I tool over this work from a person recently without tranisition and without documents...so half knowledge kills...

Thanks again ...definitely this was informative 🙂

Harry

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply