Relication V Log Shipping

• I'm not entiely sure how they differ. 

I have a DB that my cms users input articles into this DB is local and not ccesible to the world.  I need to push this data to a live db on a regular basis so chnages and new articles can be seen by users on the internet.

Which is better replcication or log shipping?

• You can use either "Tranactional"/"Snapshot" replication depending on your connection to the subscribing server. Log shipping maintains the stand-by database in recovery/read-only mode. in read-only mode the users get disconnected when ever the server is restoring the t-log and in recovery mode the database is not available. replication leaves the destination DB fully usuable.

Read up on replication before setting it up.

Good luck.

Don't count what you do, do what counts.

SQL Draggon

• I have the same situation as you with a staging database for CMS publication and a live database for CMS presentation.

I set up transactional push replication.

Firstly, I only want one way traffic between the editing environment and the live public facing environment.

Secondly, because the CMS contains a vast amount of content I am only interested in replicating the changes.

Thirdly, I need the live database to stay "live" so log shipping is out of the question.

Something else to consider is that if the CMS stores objects in image/text fields then the maximum replication size is 65K by default.  You need to run

USE master

EXEC sp_configure 'max text repl size','10485760'

RECONFIGURE WITH OVERRIDE

To specify a maximum field size of 10Mb.  Adjust as necessary.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply