Remote SQL Server

• I have an SQL 2008R2 server in my data center in Los Angeles. We also have an office in Seattle where the users operate our ERP software that accesses a DB on this server. Can I install a server at this location where the DB is continually synchronized with the server at the data center?

• Yes you can..

Explore the following possibilities..

Replication

Log Shipping

Database Mirroring

Though each of them have its own advantages and disadvantages to choose from.. Once you know more about them, you will have to choose which one fits into your needs..

You just mentioned db being synchronized.. Is it something for a near real time reporting purpose? OR is it a stand by for the data on the remote server, you need to give such information, in order to give a better suggestion of what would work for you..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• The remote location needs to function in real-time. If a change is made to a customer record at one location, the other location should see it a instantaneously.

• From what you explain, I would suggest you to look at Transactional Replication..

Bru Medishetty

Blog -- LearnSQLWithBru

Join on Facebook Page Facebook.comLearnSQLWithBru

Twitter -- BruMedishetty

• Another vote for transactional replication.

If you need peer-to-peer replication, be aware that it's an enterprise only feature.

-- Gianluca Sartori

• Hi Jay,

You want to changes in your DB mean you use Transaction replication or if you want user end they adding the data mean use Merge replication.

You can't use Mirroring in this scenario...

Satish...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply