Remove a Named Instance

• I have a SQL 2000 server that has a default instance running several production apps as well as a named instance (INST2). We recently migrated the only prod database on INST2 to another SQL 2005 box.

Since INST2 is no longer needed, should I:

a) Do some type of uninstall of INST2? or

b) Just stop/disable the sql services for this instance?

I'm leaning toward option B because I cannot afford to break the default instance by uninstalling some component that is needed. Also, I imagine we will be moving away from SQL 2000 on this server anyway in the coming year or so.

Advice welcome.

• You can uninstall SQL Server named instance. If the server is sensitive to changes or considered critical, as you have already planned Stopping the SQL Server service is a good idea. Also if you want to reclaim space, you can always drop the databases and then stop the services.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• My 2¢ is option b) - just disable the services. (If you need to free up disk space in future, you can delete the INST2 database files then.) As long as it is documented which server the database is running on, it is not a problem.

• Here's another vote for option b). Replication may break if you remove one instance of SQL Server. Please refer to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811008.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply