Remove database from read only mode,error 5105: device activation error (very urgent please)

• I have a database which is in read only mode, but when i go to the properties and uncheck the read only checkbox i recieve an error

"Error: 5105: Device activation error. The physical file name 'E:\...mydata.mdf' may be incorrect. Could not restart database 'mydata'. Reverting back to old status. ALter Database statement failded. sp_dboption command failed.'

what's wrong with that?

Please assist very urgent

• A lot of hits on Google. Does the file exist in that location, with that name? Is it a network drive as opposed to a physical drive? Also, take a look at this MS post:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304261

-- You can't be late until you show up.

• yes the file does exist, no its not a network drive

• If EM does not work and you are sure filenames are correct, it is always worth a try via query analyser

'alter database dbname set read_write'

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• recieving the same error:

Server: Msg 5105, Level 16, State 4, Line 1

Device activation error. The physical file name 'F:\LEVEL2HISTORY\20071126\Level2Backup_sys.mdf' may be incorrect.

Server: Msg 5105, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Device activation error. The physical file name 'F:\LEVEL2HISTORY\20071126\Level2Backup_data.ndf' may be incorrect.

Device activation error. The physical file name 'F:\LEVEL2HISTORY\20071126\Level2Backup_data.ndf' may be incorrect.

Device activation error. The physical file name 'F:\LEVEL2HISTORY\20071126\Level2Backup_log.ldf' may be incorrect.

Server: Msg 5181, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Could not restart database 'Level2History'. Reverting back to old status.

Server: Msg 5069, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

ALTER DATABASE statement failed.

Device activation error. The physical file name 'F:\LEVEL2HISTORY\20071126\Level2Backup_log.ldf' may be incorrect.

• Thanks alot for your assistance, I found the solution though, the actual database file permissions were set to read_only as well, I noticed this when i went to the properties of these files. I unchecked the read_only checkbox on the file permissions, I then could chage the database to be read/write. Thanks again

• hi..

in my case DBfile was not in read only .... can someone advise what shud i do...

the account with which sql servies run and is having full control over the db and log files but still my db is in suspect mode and im unable to attach the db using those files 🙁

help asap

• vishal (8/9/2009)

the account with which sql servies run and is having full control over the db and log files but still my db is in suspect mode and im unable to attach the db using those files 🙁

Please in future create a new thread for a new question.

Have a look in the SQL error log. There'll be some entries that state why the DB is suspect. Find any entries related to that DB and post them here.

Do you have a backup of this database?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Hello,

I have faced the same issue today.

In SQL 2000, when i tried to change the status of one database which was in ready_only mode to Read_write, it has given me error of device_activation.

I tried to deattch the database also, but that also given an error.

However, checkdb of that database is executing without any error.

Any more help.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply