Remove entries from SSMS 2008 Login Connection Dropdown List

• I've looked for a way to remove the unused or unwanted connections in the drop down list that appears when I start SSMS. I have found references that recommend removing "SqlStudio.bin" and "mru.dat" but haven't been able to locate either file on my pc.

• If you are using Vista or Windows 7, it will be located here:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell

Unfortunately, it's an all or nothing solution. Here's a reference:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/21e91e52-1e9e-4a7a-8636-aed4227fe9e7

• I'm using XP and can't find the mru file anywhere

• What version/edition of SQL Server Management Studio are you using?

• MS SQL 2008 Standard

• To find the version of SSMS, open SSMS, go to Help, then About.

• Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 10.0.1600.22 ((SQL_PreRelease).080709-1414 )

• Since you're on XP and using SSMS 2008, here's the file you should be looking for:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\SqlStudio.bin

• I was not able to find this file either.

• Ignore that last response, I found it. Problem solved. Thanks for the help. Your timing was perfect, I was the victim of a self-inflicted MSSQL wound yesterday. I really needed to get the production server out of the dropdown list.

• And if you're on Vista or Windows 7, the path becomes

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Shell\SqlStudio.bin

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply