Remove sql server express causes trouble in sql2000

• After install sql server express on my machine. I found I did not have reporting services, which is depending on IIS. After install IIS, I reran the express set up again. SO I end up with two instance of sqlserver express. SO I removed them all, and intended to start all fresh and clean. In the mean time I had sql2000 (spa3) developer installed on my machine.

When I start the EM of sql2000. It told me that snap in failed. So I reinstall the sql2000 client. Now everything locally works fine (both windows and mixed mode). But any attempt to connect to my local server remotely fails (neither mixed mode nor windows only).

Here are the places that I already checked:

Server network utility

Registry: the login mode

What did I miss? I really don't want to reinstall. Help

• But any attempt to connect to my local server remotely fails (neither mixed mode nor windows only).

which server are you trying to connect to? 2005 or 2000

Everything you can imagine is real.

• Post the error message please. But how did you have 2000 and 2005 as default instance which is not possible you should have 2000 as default and then 2 named instances of 2005.

Cheers,
    Sugeshkumar Rajendran
    SQL Server MVP
    http://sugeshkr.blogspot.com

• The error msg just said " sql server does not exist or excess denied"

But them I fixed my problem by reinstall the sql express again( somehow it asked me to reinstall .net frame work) . Now everything works fine. I believe the problem might be I uninstalled the 2005client too, it took away something could be shared with sql2000.

Thanks all for the help.

• Greetings.

Assuming that the instance of Sql Server 2000 is MSSQLSERVER, check the values of the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\SuperSocketNetLib\Tcp

** see that the value of the TcpPort (REG_SZ) is as it should be (usually 1433)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server

** see that MSSQLSERVER is one of the values stored in InstalledInstances (REG_MULTI_SZ)

Additionally, it won't hurt to check all values under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80

and see that you had keys/values for MSSQLSERVER where applicable (...Replication\DatabaseReconciler and ...Replication\MergeReplicationProvider)

Rgds,

zgilboa

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply