Removed Column from view access linked table now won't refresh/update

• Hello,

I have a view in SQL server... I went in and removed from the SELECT Statment a column. now when I open up Access the linked view from SQL will not updated anymore... I have to manually refresh by going in to the link manager... (I get the ODBC fail error)

I am wondering if I deleted the linked view from Access and then re-link to the view if it will refresh again... this view has had no issues for over a year, and all the sudden I remove a column and it won't refresh...

The other thing i was thinking is this... I opened the view for modification in SQL Server.... there was no SQL saying Create View... it was only a a SELECT Statement... I delted the column i didn't need and saved it. I'm wondering if I should have dropped the view and re-created it with the correct syntax i.e. Create view, or even alter view... (is create or replace view correct???)

Thanks,

John

• Linked tables don't automatically update when there are DDL changes, so dropping the linked table and recreating the link is the best way to clear that up.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• I was thinking that, just wanted to verify...

Just wondering how taking a column out of a view deals with a DDL...

I did notice before I do the update link, if i view that linked table I still see the column that I removed... once I update the link the column is gone... so does the DDL somehow remember the original table structure??? If you know, it's always nice to understand a little better...

Thanks a bunch...

John

• Access ghosts in a copy of the "table structure" (or view in this case) at the time of creation. It also asks for you to confirm what the Primary key (or unique value) is, if it can't detect it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply