Removing database owner

• Hi,

I just wanted to know, if a database or SQL Server job has a particular owner and this user leaves the company and their AD account is deleted, I know access for users will become limited to that particular database object.

To what extent will access be limited?

So if I was a 'normal' user in what ways would I be restricted? For example would I be able to view data but not edit it? Or for a job would I be able to run the job but not edit it?

What would be the situation if I was a sysadmin on the instance and the user who owned the job and database left the company and was deleted from AD.

What restrictions would apply to me as a sysadmin if I wanted to access/modify these database objects?

Thanks.

• zedtec (9/16/2014)

I know access for users will become limited to that particular database object.

No. If the database's owner is not a valid AD account, most things will work fine. Some stuff, like replication, will break with nonsensical errors, but access won't be limited, certainly not to a sysadmin.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Ok if the database owner is a valid AD user and is deleted from AD will there be any restrictions in this scenario?

If so what would they be?

• You can have odd errors occur in that situation.

You're better off having a fixed, permanent owner for dbs and granting permissions as needed to other users, up to and including db_owner if that is what they require.

SQL DBA,SQL Server MVP(07, 08, 09) "Money can't buy you happiness." Maybe so, but it can make your unhappiness a LOT more comfortable!

• Ok thanks.

• zedtec (9/16/2014)

Ok if the database owner is a valid AD user and is deleted from AD will there be any restrictions in this scenario?

That's the scenario I described...

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply