Removing empty carriage returns

• Suppose I want to remove unnecessary carriage returns from a varchar without removing the necessary ones....

For example,

declare @t varchar(max)

set @t = 'test return

test return2

'

set @t = replace(@t, char(13) + char(10),'')

select @t

This will return the following with everything jammed together....

test returntest return2

I only want to remove the empty return between statements and return:

test return

test return2

Looking for a solution that doesn't loop through the entire string and cause huge performance issues (already have one of those)....

• Replace 2 carraige returns next to each other with one:

set @t = replace(@t, char(10) + char(13) + char(10) + char(13),char(10) + char(13))

• Chris Gierlack (4/18/2008)

Suppose I want to remove unnecessary carriage returns from a varchar without removing the necessary ones....

For example,

declare @t varchar(max)

set @t = 'test return

test return2

'

set @t = replace(@t, char(10) + char(13),'')

select @t

This will return the following with everything jammed together....

test returntest return2

I only want to remove the empty return between statements and return:

test return

test return2

Looking for a solution that doesn't loop through the entire string and cause huge performance issues (already have one of those)....

If I'm understanding you right - you want to try something like:

set @t = replace(@t, char(10) + char(13)+char(10) + char(13),char(10) + char(13))

select @t

Meaning - find consecutive carriage returns and replace it with just one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Now that's what I call simple

Thanks...

• Hmmmm...thought that would work but when I executed this:

declare @t varchar(max)

set @t = 'test1

test2

'

select @t = replace(@t, char(10) + char(13) + char(10) + char(13), char(10) + char(13))

select @t

I got this:

test1

test2

• Because we are all idiots and had the line feed before the carraige return.

Try this:

select @t = replace(@t, char(13) + char(10) + char(13) + char(10), char(13) + char(10))

• Uhhhhhhh.....HA

I don't even have words for that one....yeah....

that worked....hehehehehe

thanks!

• hmm. It seems to at leaqst remove some of them for me.

Another, more reliable way - CLR and a Regex construct. That would give you:

set @t=dbo.regexreplace(@t,'(\r)+',char(13)+char(10)) -- the code is being chunked when posting - that should be "slash r slash n"

Where RegexReplace is a CLR function that looks like

Imports System

Imports System.Data

Imports System.Data.SqlClient

Imports System.Data.SqlTypes

Imports Microsoft.SqlServer.Server

Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions

Partial Public Class UserDefinedFunctions

<Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlFunction(IsDeterministic:=True, IsPrecise:=True)> _

Public Shared Function RegexReplace(ByVal input As SqlChars, ByVal pattern As SqlString, ByVal rep As SqlString) As SqlString

' Add your code here

Dim rex As System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex = New System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex(pattern.Value)

If input.IsNull Then

Return New SqlString(SqlString.Null.Value)

Else

Return New SqlString(rex.Replace(New String(input.Value), rep.Value))

End If

End Function

End Class

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Yeah that would definitely catch more of them, only problem is invoking the CLR has a good amount of overhead....

This will touch almost every procedure in the system....needs to be as lean as possible....

• Chris Gierlack (4/18/2008)

Uhhhhhhh.....HA

I don't even have words for that one....yeah....

that worked....hehehehehe

thanks!

oops...:)

What can I say - Friday it is, hmm? (Yoda-style?)

By the way - for better or worse - if you have more than 2 in a row - you may need to run more than once (the T-SQL replace)....

And - I hear you about most CLR things, but Regex has yet to fail me. It's actually faster and leaner than pretty much anything T-SQL if you are looking for some kind of "non-basic" character-based pattern, especially to replace.

I've even managed to make Jeff Moden into a CLR Regex believer, and believe you me - that took some doing!:Whistling:

• I blame it entirely on the initial post.

• Yeah I agree....in all things set-based, SQL is king but when it comes to string functions....not the best medium to work in

I'll setup a test harness and put regex to the test...

thanks.

• Thank god for edi...errrr....i mean, yeah, easy typo to make.....

• Okay, I have to ask if this is being over-complicated. Why not just:

declare @test-2 varchar(100)

select @test-2 = '1

3'

select @test-2 = replace(@test, '

', '')

select @test-2

That works for me. I get "123".

Is there some reason to code out the char values or use a RBAR regex?

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• And, as per the original post, if you want to keep double-returns, and get rid of single, try something like this:

declare @test-2 varchar(100)

select @test-2 = '1

3'

select @test-2 = replace(replace(replace(@test, '

', '|'), '

', ''), '|', '

')

select @test-2

Gives:

If you simply want to get rid of double-returns:

replace(@test, '

', '

')

(You can nest that one in a While loop, which will get rid of triple, quadruple, etc., if you need to.)

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply