Removing secondary node

• I am in the process of planning for a server upgrade in an Active/Passive SQL Server 2000 clustered environment.

I am looking for reading material on this. I am hoping to evict the secondary node, create the new server and attach it to the cluster..........

Anyone have any experience upgrading servers in a clustered environment, and if so, what approach did you take?

Thanks,

Jeff

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

• Yes, but it was in an emergency situation where the second node was dead. Worked with some great folks from Microsoft's Rapid Response Team to get it back up over one Saturday. If I remember right (Allen, Brian, correct me if I am wrong), you'll want to go into SQL Server setup to remove SQL Server from the second node you're planning to evict. After that is done, then you can proceed with evicting the node.

K. Brian Kelley

http://www.truthsolutions.com/

Author: Start to Finish Guide to SQL Server Performance Monitoring

http://www.netimpress.com/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• From BOL. You may already read it.

"Removing a Node from an Existing Failover Cluster

You can remove a node from a virtual server (for example, if a node is damaged). Each node in a virtual SQL Server is considered a peer, and you can remove any node.

A removed node can be added back to a failover cluster at any time. For example, a removed node can be rebuilt after a failure and added back to the failover cluster. Alternately, if a node is temporarily unavailable and later comes back online and an instance of SQL Server 2000 from the affected virtual server is still in place, the Setup program removes this instance from the computer before installing the binaries on the node again.

Note A damaged node does not have to be available to be removed, but the removal process will not uninstall any of the binaries from the unavailable node.

To remove a node from an existing failover cluster

SQL Setup

How to remove a node from an existing failover cluster (Setup)

On the Welcome screen of the Microsoft SQL Server Installation Wizard, click Next.

On the Computer Name screen, click Virtual Server and specify the name of the server from which to remove the node. Click Next.

You may see an error message saying that one (or more) of the nodes of the Microsoft® Windows NT® 4.0 or Microsoft Windows® 2000 cluster are unavailable. This may be because the node(s) you are attempting to remove is damaged. The node(s) still can be removed. Click OK.

On the Installation Selection screen, click Advanced Options. Click Next.

On the Advanced Options screen, click Maintain a virtual server for failover clustering. Click Next.

On the Failover Clustering screen, click Next.

You do not need to modify any IP address(es).

On the Cluster Management screen, select the node and click Remove. Click Next.

On the Remote Information screen, enter login credentials for the remote cluster node that has administrator privileges on the remote node(s) of the cluster. Click Next.

On the Setup Complete screen, click Finish.

If you are instructed to restart the computer, do so now. It is important to read the message from SQL Server Setup when you are done with installation. Failure to restart any of the specified nodes may cause failures when you run the Setup program in the future on any node in the failover cluster.

Running a Clustered Instance of SQL Server as a Stand-Alone Instance

Usually, you run a clustered instance of SQL Server under the control of Microsoft Cluster Service (MSCS). However, it may be necessary to run a clustered instance of SQL Server as a stand-alone instance (for example, when you want to perform administrative operations like running an instance of SQL Server in single-user mode). To connect to a clustered instance of SQL Server 2000 in stand-alone mode using sockets, both the IP address and network name resources must be online for the virtual server on which the instance was installed.

If these resources cannot be online, connect using Named Pipes. However, you must create an alias on the client side to talk to the pipe name on which the instance of SQL Server is listening. Use SQL Server Network Utility to find out the pipe name. "

Edited by - allen_cui on 10/07/2003 07:54:04 AM

• Mucho thanks...Seems I am on the right track and it's nice to know others have been through this before (even if it was an emergency)

Jeff

"Keep Your Stick On the Ice" ..Red Green

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply