Removing SSRS problems

• One of our servers has an old setup of SSRS that is no longer needed. At one point our previous DBA disabled the Service (SSRS) so it was no longer "functioning"

Last week I decided to clean up so I took both ReportServer and ReportServerTempDB offline with the intention of removing them if all went well. It didn't take long before I found complaints in the server's Application Event Log

The description for Event ID ( 107 ) in Source ( Report Server (MSSQLSERVER) ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer

This message continued even after I put both databases back online.

So today I decided to start the SSRS service on the server and it quickly started emailing report subscriptions so I shut it right down.

No more error messages being generated in the Event log.

So I have two questions:

Is there a logical group of steps to successfully remove reporting services?

Is there a good source of DB Schema information for SSRS subscriptions so I can disable any actually scheduled report generation before I turn it back on again?

• You should find what you are looking for here.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143518(SQL.90).aspx

John Sansom (@sqlBrit) | www.johnsansom.com

• Is it possible that you have a remote installation somewhere trying to access the databases? I had a similar situation where I took the databasese offline. It turns out that there was service running on another server trying to login into Report Server database. The error message was different, but I shut the remote service down, took the databases offline and then deleted them.

• Thank you - good reference info.

• You're welcome, glad to help.

John Sansom (@sqlBrit) | www.johnsansom.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply