Rename SQL Server

• We are deploying new hardware in our infrastructure. On the SQL servers I am doing the dropserver and addserver in SQL after changing the name.

My question is that I notice there are 7 Windows Users Groups that are listed as SQLServer2005??? user groups with the old server name appended to the group. (Example: SQLServer2005MSSQLUser$Servername-NEW$MSSQLSERVER)

Does anything need to be done with these groups in the overall setup of the server, or are these groups only used if you are using local security as opposed to Active Directory.

Thanks

gb

• Server groups are server groups. If they have members, they might end up being in use.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Those groups in SQL Server are tied to the local groups on the server. If the local groups on the server have been renamed, then you need to change them in SQL Server.

Those groups probably have not been changed - so you shouldn't have any problems.

Those groups were created when you installed SQL Server. If you followed best practices and are using a domain user for your service account and did not add that domain user to the local administrators group then those groups are required. These groups have the appropriate permissions in Windows to run SQL services, and the groups in SQL Server are required to give access to that domain account to SQL Server.

Jeffrey Williams
    Problems are opportunities brilliantly disguised as insurmountable obstacles.

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• No need to rename the groups as SQL Server will use groups SID.

• The groups do not need to be touched for things to function correctly.

If those local groups need to be renamed due to auditing requirements your only choice in an un-install/re-install of SQL Server.

This is a documented "deficiency" in SQLl 2005.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• My question is...can the groups be renamed without causing problems for SQL?

I'm planning on building a new SQL server and I'm wanting to use the server name that's showing up on my existing SQL local windows groups and I'm afraid it's going to cause conflict.

I had SQL 2005, upgraded to 2008 and renamed the server and the local window groups are still using the old server name which I want to reuse for the new server.

So, I'm wanting to know if I rename them to match the current server they are on, will that be ok or will I still have to uninstall SQL 2008, remove local groups, then reinstall SQL 2008 again?

• I do not know about SQL 2008 or SQL 2008 R2.

(maybe in another month I will though)

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• I found through another post in the SQL Server TechNet forums that it's safe to rename these to match the new server name, so I'm going to take the plunge and attempt this before creating a new SQL server.

• Please post your findings - I am sure all would appreciate it !

• Doctor X,

I will post my findings once I confirm that they are accurate. If it works for me then I'll definitely post the information, etc.

Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply