renaming agent jobs

• Hi, is it possible to rename the agent jobs (snapshot, logreader) in sql server?

• Well, I've never tried it and I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to do it but I'm sure you have a good reason.

sp_update_job will allow you to rename a job

but remember the job name is also stored in the relevant table in the distribution database, mssnapshot_agents and mslogreader_agents so those will need changing too I guess.

Good luck.

• Thanks for the reply.

I have recently taken over the dba responsibilities for a company, and there are a number of replication jobs set up that are failing because the jobs have been messed with.

I was actually after whether you can rename the jobs in the agent replication tables without too much consequence, I do not want to make a bad situation worse by updating some system tables. I think the problem stemmed from someone renaming the old jobs directly under SQL Agent.

May be easier just to remove all the replication and start again.

Thanks for your help.

• If you can remove replication and put it back on that would be the correct solution given the situation you find yourself in. That way you know everything is clean and you are not always wondering if a problem you are having is due to hacking around with internal tables.

• Hi,

When I set up my replication I simply change the name of the job in EM. To something a little more meaningful.

The only thing you have to watch out for is when you drop the replication, the jobs have to be dropped manually.

Other than that...no problem

Thanks

Graeme

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply