RENAMING TABLES

• I wish to backup the contents of a table to a seperate table, clear the original table and then import new data. Can somebody please advise the best way of doing this ? I was thinking of using EXEC sp_rename 'tblInventoryCT', 'tblInventoryCTBackup' ! This process will run daily effectively shuffling the data each day into a backup table. Cheers Mike

• Rename will not work after the first day. It can not be renamed to an existing table.

Method of backup table depends on amount of data and tracking design.

insert, bcp out/in or temp table approach are some options.

• What happens with the backup. Are you wanting to keep all your data or just prior days?

If that then consider creating a backup table and do something like so.

BEGIN TRANS

TRUNCATE BACKUP TABLE

DROP ANY INDEXES ON BACKUP

COPY DATA FROM MAIN TO BACKUP

TRUNCATE MAIN

DROP ANY INDEXES ON MAIN

POPULATE MAIN

READD INDEXES MAIN AND BACKUP (This was done to save insert time)

CHECK FOR ERROR

IF ERROR ROLLBACK TRANS

IF NOT COMMIT TRANS

As long as the whole process is in a transaction even the truncate will rollback. Test for yourself the above is concept, if someone has time they can probably post a scripted version.

• Many thanks for the replies, basically the tables hold 122K inventory items exported from a VAX system. The only reason why I make a backup is so I can compare the two tables the next day to look for price changes or any new items that have been added over night. What I tried was to creat a DTS package

• SORRY MESSAGE AGAIN ! Many thanks for the replies, basically the tables holds 122K inventory items exported from a VAX system. The only reason why I make a backup is so I can compare the two tables the next day to look for price changes or any new items that have been added over night. What I tried was to create a DTS package 1. Execute SQL Task: Delete BACKUP table 2. Transform Data Task: Copy MAIN into BACKUP 3. Execute SQL Task: Delete MAIN table 4. Transform Data Task: Copy VAX DATA into MAIN 5. Execute SQL Task: DBCC SHRINKDATABASE('MAIN') GO BACKUP TRAN MAIN WITH TRUNCATE_ONLY GO 6. Execute SQL Task: If none of these above options fail then put a 1 in the status field of a different table otherwise put a 0 in the status field. The user can see the status of this within their browser window. Not sure if this is the best way to achieve this ! Also not sure how the BEGIN TRAN & ROLLBACK can be integrated into this not that it is that much of a worry ! You mentioned the TRUNCATE command is this basically the same as what I'm doing at the last stage ? Cheers. Mike

• Can you just delete the data and do an insert statement from the current table to the backup.

Trancate Table Backup

Insert Into Backup

Select * from Original

Truncate Table Original

bulk insert Original from File

You could create a stored procudrue form this or an job and have it run on a timer

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply