Renaming

• The question had trick wording. The answer does not keep a single instance on the host. It drops the single instance and replaces it with a difference instance. "Keep" means it does not go away. A wording more consistent with the provided answer would have been "... and keep it as a single instance host."

Sincerely,
    Daniel

• "keep" was meaning the end result. There is one instance on the host at the end, not two or more.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• It appears I was fooling myself. I was connecting remotely from my workstation in SSMS. I had created a (client) alias pointing to the named instance as server. I could connect to the "named instance", but any fake instance name on the server would fail. The instance that came up reported @@SERVERNAME with the instance name.

It turned out I could also connect to just the server name through that same alias. I could also put in anything as the instance name in the alias and only that name would connect through the client. When I tried ODBC and OLEDB connections, they still needed to point to the just the machine name.

The lesson I learned is that the service was still named MSSQLServer, and not MSSQL$Instance and the service principal names are still MSSQLSvc\machine and MSSQLSvc\Machine:1433.

I have used hostname aliases before to make a named instance appear as a default instance on the alias. I find myself wondering if I could use a hostname alias and SPNs like MSSQL$Instance\Alias to achieve the obverse effect.

This really opened my eyes to how wonderfully ambiguous a phrase like "SQL server known as <Machine>\<Instance" really is.

• I thought there was an alias or something in there. Alias' are great. I prefer a FWDN, with a port number after.

mynamedsql.mycorp.com,5555

I'm surprised this is so hard to change. It would seem to be a rename of an account, a service, and a registration in AD, but apparently more stuff is embedded.

• Google, thou has failed me.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• That's why we have QA departments - what we mean and what we code don't always turn out to be the same thing.

Sincerely,
    Daniel

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply