1 Key_m int 4 0

0 GeographicCode varchar 10 1

0 Year_census_estimate int 4 1

0 Sex int 4 1

0 Age_start int 4 1

0 Age_end int 4 1

0 Person_count float 8 1

0 Age_range varchar 21 1

At the moment the Year_census_estimate only has entries for 2006.  I would like to duplicate all the 2006 entries to the year 2005.  I would like to do the same for 2004 and all the way down to 1981.  I can't duplicate the key as this should be an IDENTITY column.  And obviously the corresponding year needs to be entered into Year_census_estimate.  Please could someone suggest the best, most compact and error free way of doing this. 

• Is this what you're looking for???  Please excuse the formatting....

CREATE TABLE #myTable(

Key_m int IDENTITY NOT NULL,

GeographicCode varchar(10) NULL,

Year_census_estimate int NULL,

Sex int  NULL,

Age_start int NULL,

Age_end int NULL,

Person_count float(8) NULL,

Age_range varchar(21) NULL,

)

--Just some demo data here....

INSERT INTO #myTable  (Geographiccode, Year_census_estimate, Sex, Age_Start, Age_End, Person_count, Age_range)

VALUES ('northeast',2006,1,19,25,15000,'70')

INSERT INTO #myTable  (Geographiccode, Year_census_estimate, Sex, Age_Start, Age_End, Person_count, Age_range)

VALUES ('southeast', 2006, 1, 19, 25, 15000, '70')

VALUES ('MidWest', 2006, 1, 19, 25, 15000, '70')

VALUES ('northwest', 2006, 1, 19, 25, 15000, '70')

VALUES ('southWest', 2006, 1, 19, 25, 15000, '70')

--what you're really looking for.   Since you just want to repeat the data changing the year...  You could theoretically do this in a while loop changing the Year as needed.

INSERT INTO #MyTable (Geographiccode, Year_census_estimate, Sex, Age_Start, Age_End, Person_count, Age_range)

SELECT Geographiccode, 2005, Sex, Age_Start, Age_End, Person_count, Age_range

FROM #MyTable

WHERE Year_census_estimate = 2006

SELEcT * FROM #Mytable

-- Cleanup

DROP TABLE #myTable

To help us help you read this[/url]For better help with performance problems please read this[/url]

• Thanks,  I was about to post an update along those lines.  I think that I won't bother with the while loop.

• A simple tally table and a cross join will save you a while loop / repetitive coding / typing. Here's one quick implementation as an example...

SELECT Geographiccode, Year, Sex, Age_Start, Age_End, Person_count, Age_range

FROM #MyTable cross join (

select distinct number + 1981 as Year from master.dbo.spt_values where number between 0 and 24) a

WHERE Year_census_estimate = 2006

Ryan Randall

Solutions are easy. Understanding the problem, now, that's the hard part.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply