Replacement for "A*" used in Access

• Hi, all.

I posted some posts in forum for SQL Server Express edition, but now I am curious about T-SQL statement in SQL Server.

I made some applications in Access 2003 and, for example had table with names of people, like

Alexander

Dianna

Don

John, etc.

When I wanted to search for all the names that start with I, I used criteria "A*".

I wonder what is replacement in SQL Server. I heard that it is %, but can anyone write me some simple example

• where columnname like 'A%'

• Thanks for the answer and question Lynn

No, column names are PersonID, PersonName, etc.

A* is criteria for searching data in Access query.

I know that I should create View, select column PersonName, and in Filter write my criteria.

Maybe

SELECT * FROM PersonName AS Person

WHERE PersonName IS 'A%'

Am I right or not?

Help me out

• Ivan b (2/13/2009)

Thanks for the answer and question Lynn

I know that I should create View, select column PersonName, and in Filter write my criteria.

Maybe

WHERE PersonName IS 'A%'

Am I right or not?

Help me out

You're misunderstanding what Lynn was showing you. He was giving you the actual SQL syntax.

To make it a little easier - if you apply Lynn's point to the example you just had, it would be:

WHERE PersonName LIKE 'A%'

In other words - LIKE is the operator instructing SQL Server to do a partial match (which incidentally is exactly what Access does as well if you look at the SQL it generated).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Ivan b (2/13/2009)

Thanks for the answer and question Lynn

Maybe

WHERE PersonName IS 'A%'

Am I right or not?

Help me out

Considering how much info you provided, I just gave you the SQL syntax for using LIKE in a WHERE clause.

Matt is correct in his post.

If you would like more complete, usable, and helpful answers to your questions, may I suggest you read the first article I have referenced below in my signature block regarding asking for assistance.

Also, and I'm sure Matt will also agree, you should not use SELECT * in your views or queries. you really should explicitly name the columns you wish to return.

• Thanks to both of you.

I'm sorry for didn't realize that columname means SELECT FROM PersonName WHERE PersonName ...

• Ivan b (2/15/2009)

Thanks to both of you.

I'm sorry for didn't realize that columname means SELECT FROM PersonName WHERE PersonName ...

Well, how do we go from here:

I made some applications in Access 2003 and, for example had table with names of people, like

Alexander

Dianna

Don

John, etc.

When I wanted to search for all the names that start with I, I used criteria "A*".

to here:

WHERE PersonName LIKE 'A%'

There was nothing in your original post to base any form of query. Again, that's why I suggested that you read the first article linked in my signature block. Following the guidelines there will get you much better answers to your questions on any forum you post a question.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply