Replacing multiple occurrences of a string in a text column

• Ah vendors. Gotta love'em.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Yep...tomorrow's prices with yesterday's technology!

• Dan Epps (12/9/2008)

Yep...tomorrow's prices with yesterday's technology!

Ironic this...prices are tumbling and yesterday's technology is robust!!

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Thanks, this helped me come up with a way to resolve the same issue.

update ITEMS

set description = convert(text, replace(CONVERT(varchar(max),description), 'old string', 'some other string'))

from ITEMS

where description like '%old string%'

Julie

• Try this solution that first copies the table to a temp table (or table variable), but defines the text column as a varchar(max). Then you can use the REPLACE function with the temp table to find all the occurrences of the server in question and update it with the correct server name. Here is pseudocode:

declare @t1 table (x1 text) -- represents the permanent table

declare @t2 table (x1 varchar(max)) -- represents the temporary table

insert @t1

select replicate('ab',16000)

insert @t2

select x1 from @t1

update @t2 set x1 = replace(x1, 'b', '~')

-- delete the original data in the permanent table

delete from @t1

-- repopulate the modified data into the permanent table

insert @t1

select x1 from @t2

select * from @t1

Hope this helps.

• Do you even need the temporary table?

You can CAST the text column as VARCHAR(MAX) and do the REPLACE in one UPDATE statement

create table sample (data text)

insert into sample

select 'ababababbabaababababababababbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbabababababababababababab'

select 'before',* from sample

update sample

SET data = REPLACE(CAST(data AS VARCHAR(MAX)),'b','|')

select 'after',* from sample

drop table sample

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• SSCrazy:

Look at Julie Breuntzmann's post just before mine. I think you also need to cast the varchar(max) to a text data type:

update sample

SET data = CAST(REPLACE(CAST(data AS VARCHAR(MAX)),'b','|') AS TEXT)

Do you agree?

--Jeff

• Jeff:

The code I posted was tested before I posted it. It works for the data shown. SQL has no problem doing an implicit conversion from VARCHAR(MAX) to TEXT datatypes. I haven't tested it for strings above 8k though.

I will apologize for stealing Julie's thunder. When I am tired and reading at night I sometimes overlook posts. I thought the REPLACE(CAST()) was short, simple, and easy to read, but it's not really a significant improvement over her post.

By the way, SSCrazy is a "ranking", not my online nickname. Perhaps it should be though....

Regards,

Bob

Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain. -- Friedrich Schiller
    Stop, children, what's that sound? Everybody look what's going down. -- Stephen Stills

• Bob:

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry I sent you a salutation of "SSCrazy"!

--Jeff

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply