Replicas, indexes and different SQL versions

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (3/16/2016)

Replication is more flexible, but it can be brittle. If it breaks, it can be a pain to reset up. Not hard, but painful

Agreed.And when if breaks (not if), you typically tear the entire thing down and start over.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Oh well, looks like more fun and games with that then.

• Do not assume that anything running on a computer will be bug-free, especially if it has been written by people. This applies to Availability Groups, old-style mirroring, and transactional replication.

Even though these technologies have been extensively tested, there will be times when they break. You may run for years without any issues, but the more you stress these components the more likely you are to hit a problem.

My old employers were heavy users of transactional replication and relied on it for business-critical functions. They had a lot of experience in setting it up and troubleshooting it, but possibly once every two years would hit a bug not previously reported. In spite of these issues both the technology people and management were confident they had chosen the lowest-risk solution for the business needs. The last 6 months before I retired at the end of 2014 they were moving ahead with a project to replace replication with AGs as these were seen to have a lower risk.

Whatever solution you choose (apart from do nothing), you will need to increase the skill levels within the DBA team, and do some practice in rebuilding your secondaries so you know what to do when a problem hits. If your management need greater availability in order to meet business requirements, then part of this is accepting the change in the resulting cost and risk profile.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Hi all

Thought I'd resurrect this thread rather than starting a new one.

The powers-that-be have decided to use transactional replication as previously discussed on this thread.

I'm trying to set up the replications but I'm struggling with getting the publication database set up (to be honest, I'm working through "Fundamentals of SQL Server 2012 Replication" by Sebastian Meine).

The database already exists but, when I try to add tables, views, etc. I get an error message along the lines of "cannot create publication due to active schema changes".

The database is fed from a 3rd-party application with continuous feeds.

We haven't turned off the feeds to the database as, according to Microsoft, it isn't necessary.

Anyone any ideas?

• Are there active DDL changes running?

• Not as far as I am aware.

I do know we're getting ready for an software upgrade of the 3rd-party application in the near future but my understanding is nothing is changing until then.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply