Replication and SP3

• We were replicating data from our production server to two other servers (only 4 tables) and CPU usage on production server was about 60%(4 cpu's).

After applying SP3 our cpu usage went to 80-95%. I stopped replication and it went back again to 45-55%.

This high cpu consumption causes high amount locks being imposed (do not know if this is cause or the effect).

Any suggestion?

Server config

Win2k, SQL EE 2000, Transaction replication

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• A couple of little things I can think of:

* big distribution database (are your distribution cleanup jobs working). If msrepl_commands gets really big, I've known replication to slow down (mostly on systems with LOTS of logreaders)

* index and statistics up to date

* Is the distribution queue caught up? I.e., are you backlogged with tons of transactions that haven't been delivered?

* Verify that your profiles are using the correct poll and batch sizes.

Of course, I would definitely attempt to reproduce this scenario on another test server, to make sure that SP3, indeed, is causing you heartburn.

• Thanks for the input msrepl_command is more than 357K rows, how can I reduce it

• Dphilip - great reply!

Is your log reader still running and posting commands? There should be a clean up job that runs, is it? Or do you have subscriptions that aren't being used and haven't expired yet?

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply