Replication Help (setting up a new subscription in a new server)

• Hi guys , thanks for your expert advice (and please let me know if i put this in the wrong forum or talking rubbish)

at the moment, we have 3 production server (1 for production , 1 for reporting and the other is for ppc reporting).

we have already set up transaction replication (between production and reporting) and we already have the

publication set up (using a distributor), when i try to set up the subscription between the ppc reporting server ,

it's causing a lot of blocking on the production server (i have checked the server wasn't busy at the moment and

the subscription i select is relatively small) so i have to stop that . i was using trying to re-snap shot the thing and

wait for it to finish . Am i doing something wrong? and thanks for your time going through my post .

cheers

Ray

• Transactional replication only causes blocking on the source server when generating a snapshot.

Have you got the snapshot agent scheduled through a job? You only ever need this to run when adding a new subscriber.

After the snapshot is applied, transactional replication works by reading the transaction log of the database for replicated commands and this is a non blocking process.

• so when i try to another subscription , i shouldn't tell it to resnap shot straight away and wait for a quiter time to re-snap shot for the new subscription

thanks for your help

cheers

• raymond.an 94329 (7/9/2012)

so when i try to another subscription , i shouldn't tell it to resnap shot straight away and wait for a quiter time to re-snap shot for the new subscription

thanks for your help

cheers

Assuming you have a quiet time yes.

In a 24/7/365 business such as the one I work I have to logship an existing subscriber or restore a full database copy and create a subscription without initialising.

• Hi MysteryJimbo, thanks for your reply (really good way to do that ) . if i only want to replicate some table and i agree with the way with how you doing it (sounds a lot more safer and def wont hold out as have much blocking as that). i will do the following , can you let me know if that makes sense or i m talking rubbish .

1) set the reporting db to full recovery mode

2) restore that to the reporting (ppc)

3) start log shipping

4) restore it to active mode

5) create the subscriber

is that sounds about right ?

thanks for your time

cheers

Ray

• So long as you are using push it is that simple. Pull you need to do a little clean up on the subscriber by running a repl proc.

You're better off adding the subscription by script so you've got full control and you will need to change @sync_type value to 'none' or 'replication support only' (?)

• MysterJimbo

thanks for your help, do you have any good resources for that ?

setting up replication ?(e.g. set up replication by using a backup)

cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply