Replication not installed?

• Dumb question, is the SQL Browser service running on the server?

• Lynn Pettis (3/21/2012)

Dumb question, is the SQL Browser service running on the server?

Lynn, the only 'dumb' question is the one not asked. And,yes, Browser is running, even after restarting services. I can connect from the publisher using SSMS, by specifying the IP address across the VPN. I am just unable to connect using <server>\<instance> which replication requires.

• One other interesting bit of behavior: When I attempt to create the subscription, and am trying to add the subscriber, if I use the IP address of the subscriber (a valid way to connect from the publisher using SSMS, I receive an error message telling me not to use an alias and then telling me what string to use! So SQL Server clearly knows the server/name, but still refuses to allow access.

Very strange....

• Recap:

Browser service is running

No Active Directory

Can connect via IP address but not by name

This is a named instance

All SQL Instances were completely reinstalled

Is the firewall turned on? Is there a firewall between the two machines at all?

Both servers are running the same version of SQL Server (patch, edition etc)?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• It turns out I did not share THE critical piece of information: the connection is across a VPN. In order to support connectivity, dynamic addressing must be overridden so that the send/response dialog can work. The Subscriber's response was not being received by the publisher - this is a known defect (by design) to Microsoft and, once the alias was implemented via cliconfig.exe (32 bit, NOT 64 bit, for SSMS), connectivity was completed.

It took three calls from Microsoft on a trouble ticket to find someone that knew of this issue. The good news? It's fixed in Denali (SS 2012)!

Thanks for all your support and responses.

• Glad it is fixed and glad to see how to fix it.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply