Replication problem?Plz help

• Hello All,

I am planning to do Transaction replication from our production server to reporting server,right now we are using log shipping.

I have no experience in replication.I found couple of things before replication

1. I changed Identity column to NOT FOR Replication -- is it enough for replication or i have to do something else to replicate identity field.

2. I am not sure how can i replicate Text and Image field.

is there anything else i need to change or any other step..

Plz help me

Regards

• 1. correct

2. specify the text/image column as being in an article (same as for any other column) - you mightneed to set the "max text repl size Option" depending on how large the text/image columns are likely to be

Other things to think about

- if you have triggers, you probably want to use "not for replication" for them as well

- schema changes are not easily replicated. Adding/dropping columns must be done using sp_repladdcolumn and sp_repldropcolumn. Changes to indexes, sprocs, triggers, views etc are not replicated (unless a new snapshot is applied). I would suggest if sprocs, views etc are expected to change regularly, then they should all be in a separate snapshot publication

That should be enough to get you going

• Thanks for reply,

but i read Text/Image column changes is not logged in transaction log,so how can i get these changes to subsciber.

When anything changed, it records in logs from where logreader reads all the changes and passed to distributer and then distributer distribute all the changes to subscriver.but text/image column is logged in log.

Thats what i wondering how can i replicates text/image changes to subsciber.

Other thing, i seen SP generated by replication

sp_MSinsert...

sp_MSupdate...

sp_MSdelete...

are all these stored procedure generated automatically for each table or we have to do some extra work to generate these stored procedure.

I am asking coz i read if you have these SP you can change SP to add

Set identity on

set identity off

to avoid the identity problem.

i was testing yesterday, i found only for one table.

and i tried couple of times after that i couldn't get these SP.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply