Replication to an existing table

• Is it possible to use SQL server replication to replicate data to an existing table? The table I want to replicate the data to has an identity field, amongst others not in the replication. Its seems you can only create the subscriber table as opposed to choosing an existing table and replicating the fields needed. Is this correct?

Thanks

Danny

• The schema of the tables need to match I think, so I believe you're correct in your assumption.

So you can apply a filter based on the contents of the field to only publish certain rows to the subscriber, but the entire row is published / replicated, not just fields A, F and K.

Someone else might tell me I'm totally wrong, but I just felt like sticking my neck out 🙂

• mmm Danni maybe I didnt' understand your question, but for my experience on transactional replication you can replicate a table to another existing table, but the existing table on the subscriber will be deleted for the appliance of snapshot.

so, for example, if you've a table A on publisher with fields (id, name, surname) and if you want on the subscriber a table B with fields (id, name, age), you should create publication by selecting only articles id, name from table A, then attach subscription so table B is created and replication starts, then add fields age on table B.

• thats cleared it up for me.

Thanks

Danny

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply