Replication, what are different agents and how and where to run, start, stop, restart them?

• Hi,

SQL 2005 Standard SP4.

Getting problem with replication and i sometimes get confused with the message and to find which agent is where and how to run.

Getting following error for identity ranges

"for the Publisher, execute sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange; for the Subscriber, run the Distribution Agent or the Merge Agent."

replication i am using is "Transaction replication with updatable subscriber"

I have already executed "sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange" on publisher.

Now where and how to run this "run the Distribution Agent or the Merge Agent" on Subscriber. Is this "Repl-Distribution" Job? which i have tried already.

Can you please help to identify

how to start/stop each agent?

which job or job category is linked with which agent?

Thanks.

• You can go to SQL ServeR Agent -> Jobs-> Job Activity monitor-> and sort the jobs by 'category'

you would find all your replication related jobs.

M&M

• Please confirm again

"How to run the Distribution Agent or the Merge Agent"?

Thanks.

• Ok Now to run the Distribution Agent again, as i understood for BOL

that i stopped and restarted "Repl-Distribution" category job

this job has 3 steps

1. Distribution agent startup message

2. run agent

3. Detect nonlogged agent shutdown

its running since quite a while and its still on step 2. Will this ever finish or suppose to finish or will this ever suppose to reach to step 3 and finish?

I have tested all things on publisher and subscriber but i am not getting any solution of the following problem.

"If the identity column is automatically managed by replication, update the range as follows: for the Publisher, execute sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange; for the Subscriber, run the Distribution Agent or the Merge Agent."

Any idea?

Thanks.

• its running since quite a while and its still on step 2. Will this ever finish or suppose to finish or will this ever suppose to reach to step 3 and finish?

Don't worry about this. This is how the distribution agent would have been configured (made to run continously) when replication was configured on this server.

I have tested all things on publisher and subscriber but i am not getting any solution of the following problem.

"If the identity column is automatically managed by replication, update the range as follows: for the Publisher, execute sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange; for the Subscriber, run the Distribution Agent or the Merge Agent."

Can you post the full error message. you could find more info from the replication monitor

M&M

• Relication Type is "Transactional Replication With Updatable subscriber"

Thats the problem that i am not getting any error in the Replication Monitor however i picked the following error from profiler.

The insert failed. It conflicted with an identity range check constraint in database 'MyDatabase', replicated table 'dbo.my_Table', column 'key_code'. If the identity column is automatically managed by replication, update the range as follows: for the Publisher, execute sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange; for the Subscriber, run the Distribution Agent or the Merge Agent.

This only happens when i run same procedure on subscriber. If i do other way round i.e. publisher to subscriber then it works and it gets replicated as well.

So i have executed "sp_adjustpublisheridentityrange" on publisher database many times.

In replication monitor, in subscriber detailed view, i have "Stop Disbribution Agent" and then "Start Distribution agent"

But still i am not getting rid of this error.

Any other reason or idea please?

Thanks.

• I came across this link, can you just check if this is applicable to you. This refers to merge replication but I guess this is worth a look.

M&M

• Well the problem was due Active transactions in "log_reuse_wait_desc"

select name, log_reuse_wait_desc

from

sys.databases

Closed the long running transaction, and then try other fix options.

If possible then drop and re-created the replication.

Thanks for your help

Cheers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply