Replication with a VCS Cluster

• Can anyone tell me what the deal is with replication and why it will not allow me to use the virtual node name? We have our production servers in a VCS cluster with server1 as active, server2 as passive and server as the virtual node. I can set up a transactional replication schema with the active node (server1) but that will be a nightmare when we failover to server2.

Is it possible to use the virtual node as the publisher?

tia

DAB

• What is a VCS Cluster - Veritas Cluster Service??

With MSCS you only deal with the "Virtual" istance of SQL. You register the virtual instance in management studio and configure this as your publisher and/or distributor and/or subscriber. Test failover/failback of virtual sql instance - since this can live on either node, make sure no problems here.

Then configure replication for virtual instance.

Another rule w/ mscs is to never dial in (rdp) directly to a "node" and try to configure a "virtual" server. Rdp into "virtual" server to configure.

Hope this helps - if not, and you still want to rely on sql forums to solve your vcs problem - be more specific w/ error receiving and your architecture - dedicated distributor, sql2k/05 / sp's / etc.

ChrisB MCDBA

MSSQLConsulting.com

Chris Becker bcsdata.net

• I actually resolved this. My virtual server name was corrupt. I had to drop and recreate it using sp_dropserver and sp_addserver. Interestingly enough, the error message was very specific: "SQL Server 2005 Replication does not support the use of virtual server names, ip addresses or aliases". Far from the actual issue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply