Report Design - Subreports or Rectangles

• Hi,

I have a report which we are redesigning in reporting services, the original report was created in crystal reports.

I want to know what the best way is to design this report, it is grouped by customer and has many sections for the customer which have different data sets.

Should I use subreports like we have done in crystal reports or is there a better alternative?

Thanks

• Anyway to get a screenshot of the final report (without sensitive data)?

• Thanks, but it has lots of sensitive data 🙁

To give you an idea, the report can be run for an individual customer or many customers and is grouped by the customer code, the group footer for the customer has many sections which show information relating to the customer. This could be purchas history for the customer, products ordered . . .

The crystal report is in this format, I am making the assumption that if I create a separate dataset and table or rectangle for each section this will achieve the same format as the crystal report?

• Abs-225476 (9/16/2011)

Thanks, but it has lots of sensitive data 🙁

To give you an idea, the report can be run for an individual customer or many customers and is grouped by the customer code, the group footer for the customer has many sections which show information relating to the customer. This could be purchas history for the customer, products ordered . . .

The crystal report is in this format, I am making the assumption that if I create a separate dataset and table or rectangle for each section this will achieve the same format as the crystal report?

I've never tried something in that way. I've usually merge all that info in a single matrix or massive list of columns.

The closest I've done is drill-throughs which then open another report.

Maybe I'd have something else to say if I could at least see the structure of the final report. Maybe screen shot + blank the sensitive data out + a couple well placed comments?

• Hi,

I have created an example report which is attached.

There are 2 tables one which shows the customer data and the second which shows the customer bills.The customer data table will have a page break between each customer, what I want to do is to embed the customer bill table into the customer data table. An example of how this would appear is shown below.

This is currently done in crystal reports using subreports and I can use subreports in reporting services to acheive the same effect. I just want to know whether there is an alternative to using subreports. The report has many other tables which would need to be inserted with the customer Id group.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Page 1

Customer id - Customer Name

123 ABCDE Limited

Customer id - Invoice - Inv Date - Inv Amt

123 10102011 2011-09-11 £500

123 10102012 2011-09-12 £3,300

Page 2

Customer id - Customer Name

456 FGHIJ Limited

Customer id - Invoice - Inv Date - Inv Amt

456 10102015 2011-09-19 £7,450

• I see what you need but I don't know how to do it (at all). So I can't offer better alternatives.

• I would try using a List Object and group that on customer. Add a pagebreak for each grouping to have the customer info on separate pages.

In the List you can place several other objects (your detaildata), so several tablixes, graphs are posible.

Or use subreports as mentioned, but i think using a list seems to perform a little bit better (or that is at least my experience).

• I would use the sub-report method.

Use an 'outer' table or matrix so that you can control the page breaks by customer. Then embed the detail sub-report in a cell.

That has worked well for me in prior reports.

Bill

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply